Identity Theft

Federal Trade Commission

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, manages, which provides information to help you resolve financial issues and other problems that can result from identity theft. If someone is using your personal information to open new accounts, make purchases, or collect benefits, visit to report it and develop a recovery plan.

You can reach the FTC directly at:

Credit Reporting

SSA cannot fix your credit record if someone has misused your Social Security number (SSN) to obtain credit. To resolve your credit problems, you need to contact the institution that authorized the credit and/or issued the credit card, as well as the major credit reporting agencies. Obtain a copy of your credit report and ask that an alert be placed on your credit record requiring that you be contacted before credit is extended using your name and SSN.

The three major credit reporting agencies are:

Equifax - 1-800-525-6285
Trans Union - 1-800-680-7289
Experian - 1-888-397-3742

Work with each credit bureau, creditor, employer, and government agency involved to remove inaccurate information from your records. You should continue checking your credit report annually for inaccuracies. Keep copies of your correspondence, records of your telephone calls, and other documents verifying your efforts to correct the problem.

The Federal government and numerous states have passed laws prohibiting identity theft. Anyone who intentionally uses the Social Security number of another person to establish a new identity or defraud the government is breaking the law.

More Information

For more information about Social Security numbers and identity theft, see the links below:

FTC Information

Social Security Information