We designed the reviews described in the Audit Work Plan to address those areas that are most vulnerable to fraud, waste, and abuse. Since 1997, we have provided our perspective on the top challenges facing Agency management to the Congress, Social Security Administration, and other key decisionmakers. For Fiscal Year 2016, the Office of the Inspector General has identified the following management challenges.
- Improve Customer Service
- Improve the Timeliness and Quality of the Disability Process
- Invest in Information Technology Infrastructure to Support Current and Future Workloads
- Strengthen Planning, Transparency, and Accountability
- Reduce Improper Payments and Increase Overpayment Recoveries
- Reduce the Hearings Backlog and Prevent its Recurrence
- Strengthen the Integrity and Protection of the Social Security Number
- Secure Information Systems and Protect Sensitive Data
- Assess Disability Insurance Trust Fund Sustainability
The Plan describes reviews we plan to begin in Fiscal Year 2016. In developing these reviews, we worked with Agency management to ensure we provide a coordinated effort.
Our Plan is dynamic. Congressional interest and Agency requests may require that we begin reviews not listed in the Plan. Although we have not included these reviews in our Plan, we will still need the Agency’s full cooperation in ensuring all requested information is provided timely. We also encourage continuous feedback and additional study suggestions. This flexibility enables us to meet emerging and critical issues evolving in the upcoming year.