What Do We Investigate?
The OIG investigates a variety of situations that may be considered fraud. Examples include when an individual:
- Conceals work activity while receiving disability benefits
- Receives Social Security Benefits for a child not under their care
- Fails to notify SSA of the death of a beneficiary and continues to receive and cash the checks of the deceased
- Conceals their marriage or assets from the Social Security Administration while receiving Supplemental Security Income payments
- Resides overseas and is receiving Supplemental Security Income Payment
- Misuses benefits when acting as a Representative Payee