Each year, OIG identifies what we believe are the most serious management and performance challenges facing SSA. We provide this information to Congress, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), SSA, and key decision makers.
For Fiscal Year 2016, we identified the following as our top SSA management issues:
- Improve Customer Service
- Invest in Information Technology Infrastructure to Support Current and Future Workloads
- Reduce Improper Payments and Increase Overpayment Recoveries
- Improve the Responsiveness and Oversight of the Hearings Process
- Strengthen Planning, Transparency, and Accountability
- Improve the Timeliness and Quality of the Disability Process
- Strengthen the Integrity and Protection of the Social Security Number
- Secure Information Systems and Protect Sensitive Data
- Assess Disability Insurance Trust Fund Sustainability
We have also, in previous years, done extensive work on SSA's implementation of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act:
Click on the links to learn more about each management issue.
For more information, please see the report, Fiscal Year 2015 Inspector General Statement on SSA's Major Management and Performance Challenges.