Each year, OIG identifies what we believe are the most serious management and performance challenges facing SSA. We provide this information to Congress, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), SSA, and key decision makers.
For Fiscal Year 2014, we identified the following as our top SSA management issues:
- Strengthen Strategic and Tactical Planning
- Improve Customer Service
- Improve the Timeliness and Quality of the Disability Process
- Improve Transparency and Accountability
- Invest in Information Technology Infrastructure to Support Current and Future Workloads
- Reduce Improper Payments and Increase Overpayment Recoveries
- Reduce the Hearings Backlog and Prevent its Recurrence
- Strengthen the Integrity and Protection of the Social Security Number
We have also, in previous years, done extensive work on SSA's implementation of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act:
Click on the links to learn more about each management issue.
For more information, please see the report, "Fiscal Year 2013 Inspector General Statement on SSA's Major Management and Performance Challenges."