Each year, OIG identifies what we believe are the most serious management and performance challenges facing SSA. We provide this information to Congress, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), SSA, and key decision makers.
For Fiscal Year 2017, we identified the following as our top SSA management issues:
- Improve Customer Service
- Modernize Information Technology Infrastructure
- Secure Information Systems and Protect Sensitive Data
- Reduce Improper Payments and Increase Overpayment Recoveries
- Reduce Disability Backlogs and Improve Decisional Quality
- Strengthen Planning, Transparency, and Accountability
- Strengthen the Integrity and Protection of the Social Security Number
We have also, in previous years, done extensive work on SSA's implementation of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act:
Click on the links to learn more about each management issue.
For more information, please see the report, Fiscal Year 2016 Inspector General Statement on SSA's Major Management and Performance Challenges.